Systems Analyst/Programmer/Project Manager (2006-present)
Utah State University
- Reserach coordinator for an academic hydrology research team.
- Analyze, design and code numerous hydrology-based, data-intensive research projects. Projects mainly focused on hydrologic informatics and terrain analysis and include:
- The CUAHSI Hydrologic Information System (HIS), a distributed, service-based system for storing, finding, sharing and analyzing hydrologic data. See the website at http://his.cuahsi.org. Assisted in the design and coding of various components of system, including authoring most of the content and code of the main website. Co-author of several CUAHSI-HIS related academic papers.
- The NIDIS Drought Server, an extended CUASHI-HIS HydroServer is used to compile, store and analyze data related to the Upper Colorado river basin drought conditions. Numerous derviative data-sets are created and published to facilitate this process. Designed most of the GIS-related tools and managed much of the coding of the project. Poster abstract accepted for presentation at December 2011 AGU conference.
- TauDEM terrain analysis package, a set of 30 functions that can be used to model surface dynamics using large-scale rasters. Coded in C++ and using the MPI parallel processing paradigm, TauDEM uses GeoTIFF files for storing rasters. Member of the core design team, coded the GeoTIFF I/O routines, co-author of several TauDEM-related academic papers.
- Designed and coded much of the web site at http://www.engineering.usu.edu/dtarb.
- Coordinated the Water Initiative Program to integrate various water-related activities, resources and functions throughout the University to provide opportunities to students, faculty, staff and the community that would be unavailable otherwise.
Application Development Mgr./Mgr., ITS (1996-2000)
Fieldston Consulting/PHB Hagler Bailly
- Functioned as both a senior consultant and the manager of software development and information systems for the Fuel Division of PHB Hagler Bailly, and its predecessor, Fieldston Consulting, both international fuel, energy and transportation consulting firms.
- Managed and developed information and knowledge systems including both those developed for clients/customer use and those developed for in-house use.
- Analyzed systems including electric power, coal, and transportation industry models, data-warehouses, intranets, external web sites, including e-commerce sites, and management system tools.
- Developed project plans, technical specifications, procedures, software, data products, and training programs.
- Represented the company with partners and subcontractors to design, develop and distribute applications and products.
- Managed development resources, both internal and external.
- Acted as an internal senior advisor for the corporation on both technical and management systems.
- Clients included the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of Transportation, Conrail, Pepco, Southern Company, Jim Walter Energy, and CSX Transportation.
Staff Engineer (1991-1996)
Performance Development Corporation
- Brought expertise in computer and management systems to clients at this engineering and management consulting firm that provides services to the nuclear materials industry.
- Managed the firm's internal computer support program.
- Worked on progressively more responsible assignments, worked extensively with clients and developed my own client base.
- Prepared proposals and acted as the principal point-of-contact for numerous projects.
- Developed procedures, tools such as computer programs and database systems, models and training programs.
- Developed and analyzed systems including: regulatory compliance and requirements implementation systems; quality assurance plans; document management systems; facility management systems; and commitment tracking and corrective action systems.
- Clients included Westinghouse, the U.S. Department of Energy, EG&G, and Lockheed Martin-Energy Systems.
Technical Quality Manager/Test Engineer (1986-1989)
MinCo Technology Labs
Technical Quality Manager
- Developed and managed a new department to verify the accuracy and completeness of all technical operations involved in the reliability testing of semiconductor chips and wafers for ultra-critical uses.
- Re-engineered corporate management systems in preparation for applying for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.
- Designed reliability tests using both automatic and manual/bench instrumentation.
- Designed interfaces for probing wafers.
- Developed new GUIs, device drivers and system software for automatic testing devices.
- Worked with both digital and analog chips and instrumentation to meet military, commercial and custom specifications.
- Provided both direction and technical assistance to a team of engineers and supervised several technicians.
Systems Programmer (1984) Stone Manufacturing Company
- Developed software to network remote microprocessor controlled cash registers to the IBM mainframe at the company's headquarters.
- Wrote driver software to allow the mainframe to communicate with the cash register network.
- Integrated the new information stream into the company's existing data processing system.
- Tesfa, Teklu K., David G. Tarboton, Daniel W. Watson, Kimberly A. T. Schreuders, Matthew E. Baker, and Robert M. Wallace, (2011), "Extraction of Hydrological Proximity Measures from DEMs using Parallel Processing Environmental Modelling & Software," Environmental Modelling & Software, In Press, Corrected Proof, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2011.07.018.
- Tarboton, D.G., D.R. Maidment, I. Zaslavsky, D. Ames, J. Goodall, R.P. Hooper, J.S. Horsburgh, D. Valentine, T. Whiteaker, K.A.T. Schreuders, (2011), "Data Interoperability in the Hydrologic Sciences," 2011 Environmental Information Management (EIM) Conference, Santa Barbara, CA, 9/28-29/2011, http://eim.ecoinformatics.org/eim2011/eim-proceedings-2011/view..
- Zaslavsky, I., T. Whitenack, M. Williams, D. Tarboton, K.A.T. Schreuders, and A. Aufdenkampe, (2011), "The Initial Design of Data Sharing Infrastructure for the Critical Zone Observatory," 2011 Environmental Information Management (EIM) Conference, Santa Barbara, CA, 9/28-29/2011, http://eim.ecoinformatics.org/eim2011/eim-proceedings-2011/view.
- Horsburgh, J. S., D. G. Tarboton, K. A. T. Schreuders, D. R. Maidment, I. Zaslavsky and D. Valentine, (2010), "Hydroserver: A Platform for Publishing Space-Time Hydrologic Datasets," 2010 AWRA Spring Specialty Conference Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Water Resources VI, Orlando Florida, American Water Resources Association, Middleburg, Virginia, TPS-10-1, http://www.awra.org/orlando2010/doc/abs/JefferyHorsburgh_7cb420e3_6602.pdf. [PDF 1.2 MB - http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty/dtarb/JefferyHorsburgh_7cb420e3_6602.pdf]
- Tarboton, D. G., K. A. T. Schreuders, D. W. Watson and M. E. Baker, (2009), "Generalized terrain-based flow analysis of digital elevation models," 18th World IMACS Congress and MODSIM09 International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, ed. R. S. Anderssen, R. D. Braddock and L. T. H. Newham, Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand and International Association for Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, July 2009, p.2000-2006, http://www.mssanz.org.au/modsim09/F4/tarboton_F4.pdf.
- Wallis, C., R. Wallace, D. G. Tarboton, D. W. Watson, K. A. T. Schreuders and T. K. Tesfa, (2009), "Hydrologic Terrain Processing Using Parallel Computing," 18th World IMACS Congress and MODSIM09 International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, ed. R. S. Anderssen, R. D. Braddock and L. T. H. Newham, Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand and International Association for Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, July 2009, p.2540-2545, http://www.mssanz.org.au/modsim09/F13/wallis.pdf.
- Tarboton, D. G., M. E. Baker and K. A. T. Schreuders, (2008), “Terrain analysis and the modeling of catchment architecture,” EGU General Assembly 2008, April 14-18, Geophysical Research Abstracts, SRef-ID: 1607-7962/gra/EGU2008-A-10571.
- Tarboton, D. G., M. E. Baker, K. A. T. Schreuders, (2008) “New TauDEM Tools for Deriving Hydrologic Information from Digital Elevation Models,” AWRA Spring Specialty Conference on GIS in Water Resources, San Mateo, CA, March 17-19.
- Tarboton, D., D. W. Watson, R. Wallace, K. A. T. Schreuders and T. K. Tesfa, (2010), "Hydrologic Terrain Processing Using Parallel Computing," 2010 AWRA Spring Specialty Conference Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Water Resources VI, Orlando Florida, American Water Resources Association, Middleburg, Virginia, TPS-10-1. [Powerpoint 4 Mb - http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty/dtarb/TaudemP_AWRA_2010.ppt
- Horsburgh, J.S., D.G. Tarboton, K.A.T. Schreuders, D.R. Maidment, I. Zaslavsky, and D. Valentine (2010), HydroServer: A platform for publishing space-time hydrologic datasets, in Proceedings of the AWRA Spring Specialty Conference on GIS and Water Resources, Orlando, FL, March 29 – 31. [PPTX 6.6 MB]
- Schreuders, K.A.T., D. G. Tarboton, D. W. Watson, M. E. Baker, (2009), “Generalized Terrain Based Flow Analysis of Digital Elevation Models,” ESRI User’s Conference, San Diego, CA, July 13-17.
- Abstract H41A-0867. [Powerpoint Poster 1Mb - http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty/dtarb/AGU_TauDEM_12_09.pptx]
- Horsburgh, J. S., D. G. Tarboton, K.A.T. Schreuders, D. P. Ames, J. P. McNamara, L. A. Marshall, B. L. McGlynn, D. L. Kane, A. Tidwell, J. Boll, N. W. Hinman, M. E. Barber (2009), INRA Constellation of Experimental Watersheds: Cyberinfrastructure to Support Publication of Water Resources Data, Eos Trans. AGU, 90(52),Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract H51H-0858. [PPTX 6.3 MB]
- Horsburgh, J. S., D. G. Tarboton, K. Schreuders, J. McNamara, D. Ames, L. Marshall, D. Kane, A. Tidwell, J. Boll, N. Hinman, and M. Barber (2009), INRA constellation of experimental watersheds: Cyberinfrastructure to support publication of water resources data, Presented at the Utah State University Water Initiative Spring Runoff Conference, Logan, UT, April 2 - 3. [PPTX 4.7 MB]
- Tarboton, D. G., M. E. Baker and K. A. T. Schreuders, (2008), "Terrain analysis and the modeling of catchment architecture," EGU General Assembly 2008, April 14-18, Geophysical Research Abstracts, SRef-ID: 1607-7962/gra/EGU2008-A-10571. [Powerpoint 7 MB - http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty/dtarb/TauDEM_EGU_Apr_08.ppt
- Tarboton, D. G., M. E. Baker, K. A. T. Schreuders, (2008) "New TauDEM Tools for Deriving Hydrologic Information from Digital Elevation Models," AWRA Spring Specialty Conference on GIS in Water Resources, San Mateo, CA, March 17-19. [Powerpoint 7 MB - http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty/dtarb/TauDEMAWRA_March_08.ppt]
- Horsburgh, J., K.A.T. Schreuders, Y. Choi, D.G. Tarboton, and D. Ames, (2009) “ICEWATER HIS Training Manual, ” ICEWATER HIS Training Workshop, Boise, ID, August 4-5, 2009, http://his.cuahsi.org/documents/workshop-ICEWATER2009/ICEWATERTrainingManual.pdf.
- Schreuders, K.A.T. and Y. Choi (ed. D.Maidment), (2009), “Chapter 8 – HIS Education and Outreach”, CUAHSI Hydrologic Information System: 2009 Status Report, CUAHSI, 2009, http://his.cuahsi.org/documents/HISOverview2009.pdf.
- Schreuders, K.A.T., webmaster and primary author of the website for the CUAHSI Hydrologic Information System at http://his.cuahsi.org, 2008-2011.
- Prasad, A., D. G. Tarboton, K. A. T. Schreuders, C. Luce, T. Black, (2007), “GRAIP 1.0: Tutorial and Reference Manual,” Tarboton Hydrology Research Group.